Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Zoe Saldana's New "Vaniaty Affair" Shoot



As she proved in this summer’s Star Trek, Zoë Saldana shines when she’s surrounded by guys. Happily, the 31-year-old actress has another high-testosterone sci-fi epic in the works: James Cameron’s hotly anticipated special-effects bonanza Avatar, set in the 22nd century. [x]













PHOTOGRAPHY BY MICHAEL ROBERTS

I love Zoe Saldana. I think she's a great actress with a lot of potential. A lot of Dominicans aren't fond of her due to some comments she made about her nationality. "Whenever she goes to the Dominican Republic, the press asks her if she's American or Dominican. She says she is a mujer 'negra', a black woman. When they tell her, 'No, you're a trigueñita (light brown),' she answers, 'No, I am a black woman.'" Unlike the few other Dominican actresses/singers (Michelle Rodriguez, Judy Reyes, Kat DeLuna, Karina Pasian) who pride themselves as Dominicans, many Dominicans were offended by Zoe's comments & felt that she claims her nationality whenever it is convenient.

I personally don't care about all this shit. I'm Dominican (and extremely proud of it) & whether someone else identifies as a Dominican or black or white or whatever, is not making me lose any sleep. I love me some Zoe and I definitely think there's some Oscar possibilities in the near future for her. That being said, to play devil's advocate a little bit, if I were ever to become famous (yea right), I would never forget where I'm from or use my "blackness" or "Dominicaness" at my convenience. =]

No comments:

Post a Comment