Saturday, November 17, 2007

Kat DeLuna Looks To "Whine Up" On Top



Singer Kat DeLuna, who tore up the airwaves this summer with Elephant Man on her "Whine Up" debut single, is out to prove that she's more than a one-hit wonder.

"It's a very international-leaning album," DeLuna says of 9 Lives, which came out in August. "I was born in the Bronx, raised over there in the Dominican Republic, then came back to the States, so everywhere I went I picked up a different style. And I also studied opera in New Jersey, so all those sounds I put in my album and made a fusion."

DeLuna was surprised at how large an impression "Whine Up" made following its release.

"I knew the song was going to pop off, but little did I know it was going to have such a big impact. And because it has a dance to it, the 'Whine Up' is a dance step, so that made it pop off even more. So it's been a blessing. Not only 'Whine Up,' but also the album itself. People have been looking out for it."

DeLuna says that she's had to learn how to cope with all the attention that's come with her seemingly overnight fame.

"At first it was so crazy, I couldn't believe it. I was unsure about even looking at myself on TV. I would be like, 'Ah, turn it off.' But now it's fun. I like it. You can see yourself and see your mistakes and learn from it.

"Most of the time, though, I don't really get to see all of it because I'm on the run every day and you don't get to see TV. But you know you were on TV. My mom records it for me."

Kat realizes that dealing with the media and living a country-to-county fast-paced lifestyle is just part of her job, and she's already getting used to it.

"It's something that I understand. I try to understand it. Like, I don't go crazy about it and I know it kind of comes with the territory and, for me to become like a bigger brand, I have to do a couple of things. And it's not only on the English side, I'm also promoting my album in Spanish because I have three songs that are in Spanish versions. So one day I could be in Puerto Rico and then another day I could be in Boston or Japan or here in Canada." [x]

I think Ms. DeLuna has a lot of potential. She has a great voice, a like-able personality and she's cute. I that her material is skews a little Disney Channelish but overall her album is a solid effort. I'm feeling her song Am I Dreaming, which was supposed to be her 2nd single but was apparently scrapped. Nonetheless, I think we'll be seeing more of this Dominicanita.

No comments:

Post a Comment