Thursday, June 11, 2009

Christina Aguilera Update



Rumor has it that Christina Aguilera's next album will be titled Light & Darkness. Christina has been busy working on her futuristic-themed album with Le Tigre, Sia, Goldfrapp, DJ Premiere, Tricky, Linda Perry and Ladytron among others.

"My last album had a vintage, retro, glam appeal. And this next album which I am almost finished and am about to release has a very modern sense about it," Christina Aguilera recently said. "Futuristic in terms of looking into the future and giving it a new twist and a new sensibility. I am working with a lot of electro artists to make that come alive. That is what really inspires me at the moment."



Are you guys excited for this new Christina Aguilera? Man, oh man, let me tell you guys, I was a huge fan of Ms. Aguilera back during the Stripped era. Nearly seven years later, & I still think that the album is one of the best Pop albums I have ever heard (Pink's Missundaztood is another one) and by far her best album to date. The critics might have disagreed at the time of its release (shoot, they still might) but I think that Stripped was damn near flawless. The writing, production and vocals were all top notch and I give Christina a lot of credit because not too many female artists could've pulled it off the way she did. And don't get me started on the fabulous single choices & videos:





Say what you want, but when that video came out, EVERYBODY, was talking about it. Yea, the song didn't reach the level of success they expected (for many different reasons) but that didn't hurt the following single(s) one bit.

My only gripe is that she didn't release Walk Away, which is in my opinion, one of her best songs ever. I mean, just listen to her:



She lost me with Back to Basics. Though the album, surprisingly, received great reviews (many critics claim it's her best work to date), I thought Back to Basics was incredibly underwhelming, overambitious and at its best, a mediocre album that could've been better had she got rid of all that damn filler. Not to mention, the album didn't sell as well as her previous efforts & the singles weren't the big hits one would've expected from Christina Aguilera. And while the futuristic Keeps Getting Better wasn't horrible, it definitely wasn't her best.



With all that said, I have extremely high hopes for Light & Darkness. I know the girl has it in her, she's done it before. Question is, can she do it again?

No comments:

Post a Comment