Sunday, September 7, 2008

The Tyra Banks Show "Gay In The Ghetto"



Tyra sheds light on the struggles of growing up gay in some of the roughest and poorest neighborhoods -- and the loneliness and pain experienced as a result of the lack of support from family and friends.

She sits down with “voguing” artist Benny Ninja, who appears on “America’s Next Top Model,” to talk about how he was a victim of gay bashing, and how he felt like an outcast his entire life. Benny is the “house father” of the House of Ninja, a safe haven that takes in homeless, gay teens and provides food, shelter and emotional support to help create a stable life for residents.

Tyra then goes to the home of a younger gay man who was recently attacked by a group of straight men -- and who fears for his life in the projects. She surprises him by taking him to a safe-haven house, the House of Jourdan, where he’s welcomed by other residents. She also speaks to a transgender prostitute whose family abandoned him after he revealed he was gay. He is given an opportunity to join the House of Jourdan… and house mother Morgan Roy’el talks about how she builds self-esteem and confidence with house events where residents can showcase their talents.













It's a damn shame that these teens are getting beat up because of their sexuality. Can you imagine what it would feel like to have your life put at risk every time you walk out your house, because of the simple fact that you're attracted to the same sex? What possesses these ignorant fucks to commit hate crimes like this? Why does it bother people so much to see two guys holding hands; would it bother you as much if they were holding hands with girls? Would that make you happy? Why are people so worried about who someone else likes, what someone wears or what music they listen to? Why are people getting beat up, stabbed and even killed because of these things? And how the FUCK are these people getting away with this shit? Ay dios mio, let me stop, I'm getting pissed.

As a gay "out" Hispanic man living in NYC, I've definitely had my share of struggles in my environment because of my sexuality, mostly revolving on me being "in the closet" for most of my life. Yet, as one doors opens (me coming out and being comfortable with myself), many more close (discrimination). It's a tough, tough world out there, especially for a gay man. But that does nothing but MOTIVATE me. I have too much to prove (to myself), too many goals to accomplish & way too many dreams and aspirations to let some dumb fucks trip me over. On that note, I'm out & have a blessed night ya'll.

No comments:

Post a Comment