Tuesday, November 25, 2008

P!nk Talks About "Mean"





Fuck it, I’m just gonna tell the truth. We can decide later if we wanna go there. One of the last trips that me and Carey took was me, Butch, and Carey, Nora, Butch’s wife, Steve Astafin and Jade Astafin … really good friends of ours. We’re like the six musketeers. We would always travel together. And it was one of our last trips and it was for Butch’s birthday to O-Hi. We all went and brought a guitar and had a picnic. And I took Butch over, I hadn’t started working on my record yet and I took butch over to the side, and you know, we’re all so close that we all knew that Carey and I were unraveling. Even Carey and I did. And it was okay. It was sad and weird and beautiful. We just knew it was one of our last trips as the ‘six.’ And I took Butch to the side, away from them a little bit, and I said ‘I wanna write a song called How Did We Get So Mean'? And we started writing right there at the picnic in front of everyone. And it was awkward and beautiful and amazing. And there’s still so much love at that picnic and so much honesty. Really good cheese and we started writing that song. And Butch was the first person I worked with after Carey and I decided to split. And I sat there and cried through the rest of the song with Butch. We worked through it and I sang it into a laptop crying … sad. And I think everyone can relate to that song because I really do think that everyone can relate. My dad cried when he listened to that song.


This song was probably my least favorite off Funhouse, the first time I heard it. The lyrics always touched me and I could definitely relate... but the melody just seemed uninspired to me. But after listening to it a couple more times, it's become one of the best songs on the album. It's so interesting to hear her talking about how this song came together. Her new album is so personal, if you guys haven't heard it yet make sure you give it a listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment