Saturday, November 8, 2008

More On Prop 8...

Celebrities are speaking out against the passing of Prop 8:



Sophia Bush
"It's just so sad that when we've been so progressive, we've also taken so many steps backward," she said, choking up. "I'm disgusted.

"In a world that is so full of hatred and bigotry and war and famine? We're criticizing two people for loving each other. I think that it's devastating."




Samantha Ronson
"I guess people care more about farm animals than they do their fellow man, that's really sad to me,” ‘People’ magazine quoted her, as saying on her MySpace page.

“Yes, I am glad that the chickens will have more room and better conditions as they wait to die, but I just think it's frightening that people show more compassion for tomorrow's dinner than for the chef,” she said.

Ronson’s outrage comes after California voters approved intention of freeing chickens from small cages, but rejected legalizing gay marriage in Florida and California and adoption for gay parents in Arkansas.

“Yup, Miss Piggy and Chicken Little may rest easy, but gay people in Florida and California can no longer get married and gay couples in Arkansas can't adopt children," Ronson stated.

"God forbids a loving family (regardless of sexual orientation) give a needy child a home!" she added.




Madonna
"I am sorry we did not win Proposition 8. If we can have an African-American in the White House, we can have gay marriage," insisted the 50-year-old pop star who is divorcing her husband British director Guy Ritchie.






Christina Aguilera
"Last night, there was a whole rally that I saw for Prop. 8," she told MTV News. "A lot of people came out with their signs, and I think [Prop. 8] is discrimination and I don't understand how people can be so closed-minded and so judgmental. We chose an African-American president, and it means so much ... [it's] a time in history of great change and open-mindedness. Why is this any different? It just doesn't make sense to me. Why you would put so much money behind something [aimed at] stopping from people loving each other and bonding together? I just don't understand it. It's hard for me to grasp. But I would've been out there with my rally sign as well."



Melissa Etheridge

Prop 8 passed. Alright, I get it. 51% of you think that I am a second class citizen. Alright then. So my wife, uh I mean, roommate? Girlfriend? Special lady friend? You are gonna have to help me here because I am not sure what to call her now. Anyways, she and I are not allowed the same right under the state constitution as any other citizen. Okay, so I am taking that to mean I do not have to pay my state taxes because I am not a full citizen. I mean that would just be wrong, to make someone pay taxes and not give them the same rights, sounds sort of like that taxation without representation thing from the history books.

When did it become okay to legislate morality? I try to envision someone reading that legislation "eliminates the right" and then clicking yes. What goes through their mind? Was it the frightening commercial where the little girl comes home and says, "Hi mom, we learned about gays in class today" and then the mother gets that awful worried look and the scary music plays? Do they not know anyone who is gay? If they do, can they look them in the face and say "I believe you do not deserve the same rights as me"? Do they think that their children will never encounter a gay person? Do they think they will never have to explain the 20% of us who are gay and living and working side by side with all the citizens of California?

I got news for them, someday your child is going to come home and ask you what a gay person is. Gay people are born everyday. You will never legislate that away.


George Takei



Whoopi Goldberg
If you don't believe in gay marriage, don't marry a gay person.


The View

No comments:

Post a Comment